The Institute for Trunk Pipeline Design (Giprotruboprovod, JSC) was founded in 1939 and boasts an impressive history.
Giprotruboprovod, JSC, is Russia’s leading design institute specializing in design and survey work in the sector of oil and oil products trunk pipeline transportation.
Giprotruboprovod, JSC, is an entity operating within the Transneft System; it has a multidivisional structure and performs functions of the general contractor in the following key areas:
- conducting comprehensive engineering surveys;
- designing systems of oil and oil products pipeline transportation;
- development and implementation of technical policy of Public Joint Stock Company «Transneft» (before June 30, 2016 - Oil Transporting Joint-Stock Company Transneft), when conducting design and survey work;
- development of design projects of revamping, technical upgrading and overhaul of facilities and structures of oil and oil products trunk pipeline transportation;
- development of standard design solutions when designing facilities and structures of trunk pipeline transportation;
- carrying out experts examination and review of design documentation;
- organizing, performing and design supervision of construction of trunk pipeline facilities and structures.
Over more than seventy years of professional activities, the specialists of the Institute have completed an impressive amount of design and survey work integrally connected with building and extension of pipeline systems, which have become an essential factor of development of the national transportation infrastructure.
More than 70% of the oil trunk pipelines operating in Russia, CIS countries and Eastern Europe, including the supporting infrastructure, have been built under the design projects of Giprotruboprovod, JSC.
One of the core areas in the Institute’s activities is studying and assessment of the prospects for the further growth of oil and oil products pipeline transportation, taking into consideration the existing technical and economic factors as well as predictive assessment of national, regional and global trends in the oil industry. The outcome of the above work is generation of general development plans for pipeline systems, including substantiation of the routes, required throughput capacity, financial costs, payback periods.